Blackpool Food Partnership
Posted: 22 March 2017
Telephone: 01772 751000
Many people in our area are living in food poverty yet, according to government statistics, 15 million tonnes of food waste (food and drink) is produced annually in the UK. This is primarily sent to landfill or for incineration.
The Blackpool Food Partnership is a faith-based, but inclusive, initiative set up in 2013 to coordinate action to help reduce both food poverty and food waste in Blackpool and the surrounding area. With increasing awareness of the need for sustainable food production and the environmental impact of avoidable disposal of usable food into landfill, it makes no sense that people are going hungry.
With the help of our sponsors, partners and volunteers we are already making a difference. We started by distributing tinned and packaged food but have increased our scope to include bread, fresh food and frozen food and currently distribute surplus food to 48 organisations across Blackpool. We also provide training to charitable food providers, and a platform for networking between partners with the aims of reducing the competition for resources and promoting co-operative sharing of resources and information. Above all, along with providing food, we are committed to the development of individuals so that they can progress to self-sufficiency and realise their potential.
But there is still so much more that could be done....
Use the links at the top of this page to find out out more:
• News to find out what we have been doing recently
• Get Help to find out about food banks and food parcels, soup kitchens, and night shelters in the area
• Give Help to find out how you can promote our work, donate food, or volunteer your time to help us
• Events to find out about upcoming events we are involved in
• Partners to find out more about the various organisations we work with
• Donate to find out how you can help fund our work
More Info to find out more about our background, our achievements, the additional work we do and our plans for the future