Return to Social Work Service

/Return to Social Work Service
Return to Social Work Service 2018-06-23T12:08:26+01:00
Stock image Shot of a group of coworkers in a boardroom

If you’re a qualified social worker looking to get back into the profession we can help. We offer coaching, support in CV application and linkage with relevant placement experiences. Contact us today for further information.

What we offer

  • Reflective supervision sessions

  • Observations of practice

  • Development of social work training plan


  • Six weeks

  • Nine weeks

  • 14 weeks

  • Bespoke packages available

Timeframe and requirements for returners

In order to return to practice, the first step is to identify how long you have been out of practice. Once identified, you will need to complete and meet the following requirements, depending on how long they have been out of practice:

  • 0-2 years – no requirements

  • 2-5 years – 30 days of updating their skills and knowledge

  • 5 years or over – 60 days of updating their skills and knowledge

What does “updating their skills and knowledge” mean?

To put it simply, in order for you to return to Social Work, the HCPC require that you complete a readmissions form which details that you have updated your skills and knowledge in three ways:

  • Supervised practice

  • Formal study

  • Private study

Supervised practice

‘Supervised practice’ is practising under the supervision of a registered professional. During a period of supervised practice, you may have the option of being employed as an assistant in your profession. However, employment is not essential (includes relevant voluntary work).

Formal study

‘Formal study’ is a period of structured study which is provided by a person or organisation. This can include distance learning or e-learning, or any other type of course or programme that is relevant to your practice.

Private study

‘Private study’ is a period of study which you structure yourself. If you choose to use private study as part of your updating, you could use resources including:

  • websites;

  • library books; and

  • Journals

How many days should I do each section for?

There is no one formula in terms of establishing how many days you are required to demonstrate supervised practice, formal study or private study. The only requirement is that any private study makes up a maximum of half the period.

For example: you could choose 50% private study, 25% formal study and 25% supervised practice. As long as it makes up the total number of days you are required to demonstrate.

Once completed, the registered professional will be required to sign off the Returners to Practice application  which is completed the the returning Social Worker. This is then processed by the HCPC and (once passed) full Social Work Registration status is achieved.

If you’d like to find out more, contact our communications team

Sign up today for all the latest news and views from One Stop Social.

Keep up to date with the latest:

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.


Latest news, jobs, resources & training for the Social Work & Care Community